seeking | sharing | venting | whatever…ing

The Things We Do for Love (as in Tennis)

with 4 comments

I have to say, playing tennis in below freezing temperatures with a wind chill of 18 was a new experience for me. I’m not playing in the winter mixed doubles league, but I did say I would serve as a backup player. Well, they needed one on Sunday, so I knew it was “play or forfeit.” I can’t tell you how badly I did NOT want to play in those conditions.

I wore silk long johns (top and bottoms), sweat pants, a long sleeve t-shirt, a sweat shirt, a fleece jacket, gloves, ear muffs, and a baseball cap. I felt like the bundled up little boy from A Christmas Story when I was trying to run around! 🙂

It was very difficult to maintain any decent grip on the racket with gloves on, so I took my right-hand one off. Then, it felt funny with one hand freezing and one hand warm, so I took them both off. After about 15 minutes of “warm up” and about 30 minutes into the game, I actually started to feel okay. My face stayed cold the whole time, with the requisite runny nose and chapped lips, but the rest of my body was okay enough that I could take off the fleece jacket and still be alright.

I have to admit it was a bit surreal seeing icicles hanging off the pool umbrellas, and when the wind gusted, it blew snow off of them onto the court below, giving the appearance of it snowing again.

I played with a VERY good 28-year-old, who was able to cover the whole court where I could not. We made a pretty decent team (esp. considering we’d never played together), and we beat a husband/wife team 6-4, 6-2. I intended to stay a while to watch the next teams play, but being wet with sweat and sitting in the brisk wind was not making for a very comfortable situation, so I left.

I can now mark that off my bucket list. 🙂


In other news,

On Friday, I had a guy come and check my furnace which was not heating well and was making a terrible racket. Long story, short… he shut if off because the heat exchange was cracked and was releasing CO into the house. Of course, because I had just bought the house in May, I had no idea that it was in such bad shape and not been properly maintained; therefore, AHS (home warranty) would not cover the cost.

I got on the phone in a hurry to find someone who could guarantee a 24-hour installation, since I knew that we wouldn’t want to be in the house without heat over the snowy, deep freeze weather that was forecast for the entire weekend.

Fortunately, I was referred to Holtkamp Heating and Air in Buford. Their guy met me at the house 30 minutes after the call, performed some tests on the house to see what size unit would be best, where there were leaks that would affect performance, etc. (fortunately, my house is very tight and only had one vent that was not well-sealed. So he goes through options with me, and right before 5:00, he calls the Trane dealership. They say they’d wait for him to come pick up the unit ’cause if he doesn’t get it on Friday before they close, they won’t be able to get it until Monday. So he heads out, gets it in his truck, brings it back to my house and leaves it in the garage.

He promises they’ll be back at 8:30 on Saturday morning. Sure enough, he and another guy get there at 8:30, and by 11:00, I’ve got blesssed heat!!

Part of what I decided to do was get a zoned system for the house, so that one unit is controlled by two different thermostats upstairs and downstairs (previously, there was only one upstairs, and there was a significant different in temps between the two floors). So now, the thermostats are connected to dampers over the outflow vents. For example, if the temp upstairs is met, but not downstairs, the vents upstairs will close, but the downstairs, they will stay open.

Anyway, the Holtkamp people needed to come back to set up the zone system, and said that it would probably be an all-day thing. They showed up right at 8:30 as planned. Fortunately, J. was able to be home until 3:30, when I took off work early so she could leave. The installers worked all day and stayed until 7:15 to make sure it was done, since I told him that neither of us could be here tomorrow.

It has been about 1-1/2 hours since it’s been going, and I can already tell a significant difference in the comfort level downstairs. It was pricey, but I think it’s gonna be worth it. Also, I’ve got both thermostats set on a program that adjust the temperature four times throught the weekday and leaves it steady on weekends. My old thermostat was not quite that elaborate. How sweet is that?!?

Any of you have any harsh weather with no heat/cooling stories to tell?


Written by blogicalinks

January 21, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Posted in Sharing, Whatever

4 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. I’ll bet that tennis was just great on your sore back. 😉

    I think you will be really happy with that new system in your house.

    I have two harsh weather – no heat/cooling stories. One of each.

    The no heating was in the big ice storm of 1973. That shut down a lot of areas for 1-3 weeks. We were in the one week range. My dad built a fire in the fireplace and blocked off the doors so the only rooms we had to heat were the den, breakfast room and kitchen. We put sleeping bags on the floor in front of the fire and cooked food on the fire. It was fun for about a day and then it got old.

    My no AC story is from college. I lived on the 4th floor of a dorm with no AC and in 1984 a nasty heatwave hit Athens. We kept all doors and windows open, tried to get a cross breeze between rooms with the big square fans in the windows and we soaked our pajamas in water and froze them before we put them on at night. In the daytime, it might have been thet only time I was glad to go to class because those buildings were air-conditioned.


    January 21, 2008 at 10:16 pm

  2. Hmmm. On heat, this is why I rent. And… you have a bucket list? What else is on it?

    O thanks for telling your myers briggs. So interesting, that stuff.


    January 22, 2008 at 12:40 am

  3. And another great tennis story!

    Don’t forget I have an extra room with a futon in case anyone needs it. You may not experience the same treatment that I got at C and J’s when I stayed over for New Year’s with the big plush bed and chocolates on the pillow, but I can assure you one big dog who would love to lie in between ya’ll!

    AC story: I had a very brief stint in law school in Miami, FL (before I realized that I am the non-confrontation type and dropped out :P). The dorm was a 1950’s pink no-tell motel that had been converted. It had a window AC unit that was inserted into a ground level hole in my wall. The AC broke 3 times in the first week. The heat was unbearable but the worst part was every time it broke, maintenance took the AC with them and left the big hole in my wall wide open. I didn’t sleep a wink at night as I was expecting critters, bugs and mass murderers to crawl through the hole.


    January 22, 2008 at 11:24 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: